Cliff Notes from Friday’s Union Democrat Article (written by Alex MacLean) on the drought damaged trees:
- The Dept of Industrial Relations determined that tree removal work completed as part of Gov. Brown’s Oct 30 executive order on tree mortality will not be subject to prevailing wages—–translation: (qualified) contractors who aren’t registered with the DIR will be able to participate.
- Private individuals are not eligible for assistance to remove dead and dying trees on their property [under this program].
- An estimated 9,000 dead and dying trees will be removed.
- 75% of the cost will be covered by the state
- CalTrans has asked the county to file a request that would allow Caltrans to remove hazardous trees up to 200 feet from the sides of state highways rather than just those adjacent the roadway.
- The county is still advocating for the Federal Goverment to declare an emergency in California covering the tens of millions of dead and dying trees throughout the state.
- Notices will be sent soon to private landowners to let them know inspectors will be in the area assessing trees.
The Tuolumne County Board of Supervisors will host a series of community forums on the topic of dead and dying trees in April that will include presentation from experts and time for questions.
- District 6: April 7, Columbia Elementary School, 22540 Parrotts Ferry Rd., Columbia.
- District 1: April 12, Country Administration Center, 4th Floor, 2 S. Green St., Sonora.
- Districts 2 and 3: April 14, Twain Harte School cafeteria, 18815 Manzanita Drive, Twain Harte
- District 4: April 19, Tenaya Elementary School, 19177 Hwy 120, Groveland.
MY NOTES FROM THE MAHA BOARD MEETING ON FRIDAY, MARCH 4, 2016:
Don’t get in a panic to take your trees down.
Persons to Contact with concerns re trees:
- Assembly Member Frank Bigelow, State Dist. 5:
- Capitol Office
- State Capitol, Suite #6027, Sacramento, CA 94249-0005
- (916) 319-2005, (916) 319-2105 fax
- Tracy Riggs, Office of Emergency Services: 533-5511 (leave a message)
PG&E must notify you re removal of trees from your property and you must pre-sign for removal.