I was unable to attend to briefing and Q & A session held by the Forest Service earlier this evening but a fellow Mi Wuk Sugar Pine Fire Auxiliary member did go and gave me these highlights:
- The reason for the location and time of the briefing was that the command center for the Donnell Fire had just been set up at Dodge Ridge and all involved command personnel were readily and conveniently available.
- Baker’s Station and Kennedy Meadows are being prepared to withstand some fire activity. You never know what it will be like when/if it arrives in that area. The Union Democrat article I referred you to earlier today has a photo of a Kennedy Meadow building being covered with aluminum-like protective coverings on the roof to protect it from embers.
- Defensive space is being cleared around remaining cabins as is possible.
- It will be several weeks before burned out cabins can be identified due to fire remnants, dead trees and firefighter safety. The Forest Service will be calling individual cabin owners. The delay equals safety.
- Eagle Meadow Road: mitigating work is being done by fire fighting teams and they will be doing what they can in advance.
- The Sheriff’s department went into all evacuated areas, as stated they would earlier on in this and other fires, and went door to door with the mandated evacuation news once known
A 26 minute video has been posted here.
There is a report of the briefing on MyMotherlode.com tonight (8:30 p.m.) as well as the UnionDemocrat.com website. Also check the USFS Facebook page. (< < not much there as of this writing, 11:20 p.m., way past my bedtime)Leave a comment